Fishing is a beloved pastime for many, and there are countless quotes that capture the essence of this peaceful and meditative activity. From the wisdom of experienced anglers to the musings of famous writers and philosophers, these quotes reflect the many different aspects of fishing, including the joy of being out on the water, the challenge of landing a big catch, and the sense of connection to nature that fishing can provide.
Whether you’re an experienced fisherman or just starting out, these quotes will inspire and motivate you to travel to your favorite fishing spot, cast your line and catch the big one.
The Best Fishing Quotes
1. “Fishing is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it.” – Harry Middleton
2. “Fishing is the chance to wash one’s soul with pure air, with the rush of the brook, or with the shimmer of sun on blue water.” – Herbert Hoover
3. “Fishing is a hard job and a good job, it’s a rich man’s job and a poor man’s job, it’s a happy job and a sad job, it’s a lot of things. But most of all it’s a rewarding job.” – Tom Brokaw
4. “The great charm of fly-fishing is that we are always learning.” – Theodore Gordon
5. “Fishing is a way to be at peace with the world and oneself.” – Unknown
6. “Fishing is not about the fish you catch, it’s about the memories you make.” – Unknown
7. “Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
8. “The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope,” Author Unknown.
9. “Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime”.
10. “I go fishing not to find myself but to lose myself,” Joseph Monniger.
Fishing Quotes for Women
11. “A woman who can fish is a woman who can handle anything life throws at her.” – Unknown
12. “Fishing is like love, it’s not always the fish you catch, but the memories you make.” – Unknown
13. “A woman, who has never seen her husband fishing, doesn’t know what a patient man she married!” Author Unknown.
14. “Wanted: Good woman – Must be able to clean, cook, sew, dig worms and clean fish. Must have boat and motor. Please send picture of boat and motor,” Author Unknown.
15. “Reel girls fish.”
16. “Every girl loves when a boy softly whispers in her ears those three magic words: “Let’s go fishing!”
17 “Girls that fish are cuter than girls that twerk.”
Fishing Quotes for Instagram
18. “Fishing is a way of living, and a way of life.” – Unknown
19. “Fishing is not a matter of life or death, it’s much more important than that.” – Unknown
20. “Fishing is not just about catching fish, it’s about the journey and the memories that last a lifetime.” – Unknown”Fishing is a lot like life. Sometimes, you just need to let it be and let it happen.” – Unknown
21. “Fishing is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you’re going to catch.” – Forrest Gump
22. “Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after,” Henry David Thoreau
23. “Fishing is a discipline in the equality of men – for all men are equal before fish,” Author Unknown.
24. “Good things come to those who bait,” Author Unknown.
25. “I have fished through fishless days that I remember happily without regret,” Roderick Haig Brown.
Funny Fishing Quotes for Facebook
26. “Fishing is the art of lying convincingly about the size of the fish that got away.” – Unknown
27. “Fishing is like a game of chess, the fish is the opponent and you have to outsmart them.” – Unknown
28. “Fishing is like a drug, one cast and you’re hooked.” – Unknown
29. “Fishing is not just a hobby, it’s an addiction.” – Unknown
30. “Fishing is the art of catching fish, but it’s also the art of catching a nap.” – Unknown
31. “If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there’d be a shortage of fishing poles,” Doug Larson.
32. “A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office!” Author Unknown.
33. “Early to bed…early to rise…fish all day…make up lies,” Author Unknown.
34. “Some people will just never understand us, fishing isn’t just a pass time or a sport, it’s a way of life. DON’T MESS WITH MY WAY OF LIFE!” Author Unknown.
35. “To fish or not to fish? That’s a dumb question,” Author Unknown.
36. “I spent most of my money on fishing. The rest I wasted,” Author Unknown.
37. “Life is like a game, but fishing is serious,” Author Unknown.
38. “Give a man a fish; he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and you will find bait in the fridge,” Author Unknown.
39. “There are two things in life you should never be late for, Number one is Church and Number two is fishing,” Author Unknown.
40. “Even a fish wouldn’t get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut,” Author Unknown.
41. “Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley,” Author Unknown.
Fishing Quotes for Him
42. “The best way to a fisherman’s heart is through his fly.” – Unknown
43. “You say I’m a compulsive fishing freak like it’s a bad thing,” Author Unknown.
44. “I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent,” Nick Lyons.
45. “It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.” John Steinbeck.
46. “I’ve gone fishing thousands of times in my life, and I have never once felt unlucky or poorly paid for those hours on the water,” William Tapply.
47. “The fish is not so much your quarry as your partner,” Arnold Gingrich.
Ice Fishing Quotes for Instagram
48. “There’s nothing like the feeling of a fish on the end of your line, especially when that fish is frozen solid.”
49. “Ice fishing is a way to reconnect with nature and enjoy the great outdoors, even in the middle of winter.”
50. “The best thing about ice fishing is that it’s just you, the fish, and the great outdoors. It’s a chance to get away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life.”
51. “Ice fishing is not just about catching fish. It’s about enjoying the tranquility and beauty of the winter landscape.”
52. “The cold never bothered me anyway.” – Frozen
53. “Ice fishing is the ultimate test of patience and perseverance.”
54. “The best part of ice fishing is the way it makes you feel like a kid again. It’s like Christmas morning, but with fish.”
Fishing Quotes for Dad
55. “Spending time together fishing is a great way to build meaningful memories with your son”.
56. “Many of the most highly publicized events of my presidency are not nearly as memorable or significant in my life as fishing with my daddy,” Jimmy Carter.
57. Father and son fishing is a great way to spend time together. Whether it’s catching fish or just enjoying the outdoors, father and son fishing is a great family bonding experience.
58. Father and son fishing is something special. It’s a time when you teach your kids to fish as you did, it is a time of teaching your children the value of patience, hard work and good luck.
59. “Fishing is a sport, and a noble one at that. It’s one of the few sports that can be shared by a father and son, grandfather and grandson, or by friends of all ages.” – Jim Arnosky
60. Nothing can beat that feeling when you’re out with your son, fishing together.
61. Fishing is about more than just catching fish. It’s about the time spent in the river, the boat ride and having fun together as a family.
62. Catch a fish. Have some laughs. Give your kid a lifetime of memories. Pack up the car, grab your pole and hit the road for a day full of Big Fish action!
63. “When you hit the water, it’s all about catching fish and spending quality time with your son.”
Bass Fishing Quotes for Instagram
64. “Bass fishing is one of the most challenging and rewarding things I’ve ever done. It’s like a chess match with the fish.” – Hank Parker
65. “I had an 8 come off at the boat”
66. “Winds from the East fishing is the least, Winds from the West fishing is the best”
67. “Don’t leave fish to find fish.”
68. “The fish are either shallow or deep or somewhere in between”
69. “The fish bite twice a day; Just before we get here and just after we leave!”
70. After digging around a bunch of baits you pull out a good looking one and say “I would eat that”.
71. “The tug is my drug.”
In conclusion, fishing is not just a hobby, it’s a way of life. These quotes remind us of the joy and connection to nature that fishing can provide. It’s a wonderful way to relax, disconnect, and connect with the natural world. On the other hand, fishing is also an excellent way to create strong bonds with people you care for.
Whether you’re an experienced angler or just starting out, we hope that these quotes can inspire and motivate you to grab your rod and reel, head to the water, and cast your line in.
So, take some time to relax and enjoy the peace and tranquility that fishing has to offer.
Looking for more Outdoor Inspiration or other Quotes? Try these:
Frequently asked questions
Depends on the post. But to give you some idea, here are some responses you can try:
- “Wow, that fish is huge! What was your secret to catching it?”
- “Fishing is always a great way to relax and unwind, nice post!”
- “I’ve been wanting to try fishing, thanks for the inspiration!”
- “Looks like a perfect day to be out on the water. How was the fishing?”
- “Nice work! Any tips on what type of bait or lure you used to catch that fish?”
- “I love fishing, it’s a perfect way to spend a day with friends and family. Your post made me want to grab my rod and reel.”
- “I’ve always heard that (place where the photo was taken) is a great spot for fishing, thanks for confirming that.”
- “Great picture and catch, I hope you’ll share the recipe for that fish.”
“Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime”.
This phrase is often attributed to the Chinese philosopher Laozi (also known as Lao Tzu) or Confucius, but it is not found in their writings. It is likely a modern adaptation of similar sayings that have been passed down through the years.
The earliest known written version of this saying is in a Chinese book written in the early 19th century. The original Chinese saying is “Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.”