Do You Have a Dive Bucket List?
Everyone has a bucket list of things they would like to do before they die.
It makes sense that divers should have their own bucket list! A list of dive sites to see before the end of their diving days.
A list of the top ten diving places in the world should include something from every type of dive.
If you have plenty of time to go diving you could make more than the one list.
Try compiling a bucket list of the top ten dive sites in Europe or the Caribbean and work your way around the world.
This list is merely a suggestion of what I have on my list and sites you should consider for your own list.
And here are by far some of the best dive sites in the world:
1. Cape Kri – Raja Ampat, Indonesia
- Coral garden like you’ve never seen it before
- Great marine life: Manta Rays, Sharks, Barracudas and giant trevallies.
- Record setting 374 different species of fish
- Best dived from Papua Diving Resort but can also be done from Liveaboard
2. Barracuda Point – Sipadan Island
- World class Malaysian dive site.
- 800 meters drop off
- Occasionally strong sweeping currents.
- Broadly diverse sea life; Sea Turtles, Buffalo Fish, Coconut Crab
3. Blue Corner – Palau, Micronesia
- A wall dive popular with experienced divers.
- Strong currents for a challenging dive.
- Excellent opportunity to see sharks.
- Fabulous diversity of marine life.
4. Thistlegorm – Egyptian Red Sea
- Cargo ship wreck filled with motorbikes, train carriages and trucks.
- Sunk in 1941 after being bombed by 2 German bombers .
- Laying at a max depth of 29 meters.
- Reports of encounters with giant moray eels.
- Popular site for a night dive.
5. Shark & Yolanda Reef – Egyptian Red Sea
- Shark reef rich in anemones.
- Mixture of drop off and ship wreck.
- Good currents for drift diving.
- Three reefs in one dive.
6. The Yongala – Queensland, Australia
- 109 metres wreck (entry into the ship is forbidden).
- Protected under the Historic Shipwrecks Act.
- Lots of wildlife: Manta Rays, Tiger Sharks, Bull Sharks and Turtles.
- Incredible coral formations.
- Accessible from Ayr Township.
7. Great Blue Hole – Belize
- Incredibly deep hole edged with coral reefs.
- Great visibility in the water.
- Best time to dive is between April – June.
- Hole is 143 meters deep and home to plenty of mako and sharks.
8. Big Brother – Egyptian Red Sea
- Divers must have 50+ open water dives under their belt to dive here.
- Currents can be wild and unpredictable.
- Interaction with sharks is common.
- Steep sided volcanic cone dive.
9. Manta Ray Night Dive – Kailua Kona, Hawaii
- Lights set into the ocean floor attract plankton which attracts manta rays.
- Currents here can be wild at times, but on a good day you’ll have the show of a lifetime.
- Guaranteed close encounters with the large Manta rays.
Read more about Diving in Hawaii
10. Liberty Wreck – Bali, Indonesia
- Wreck dive between 9-30m of water.
- Suitable for all levels of diving skill.
- A photographer’s favourite site because of the abundance of life here.
- Very still current with visibility up to 30 meters.
Do you have any diving Bucket list? Tell us where you wish to go diving!
He is also the co-founder and chief-editor of DIVE.in you can always catch him here [email protected]
Latest posts by Torben Lonne (see all)
- Diving Wetsuit: Why You Need To Buy Your Own - October 5
- The Coral Reef: A Diver’s Delight - October 1
- Diving Insurance: How To Choose Your Dive Insurance - September 30